Country Cabinet on Kangaroo Island
Tuesday, 6 June 2017
The State’s key decision makers visited Kangaroo Island last weekend, for Country Cabinet.
We welcomed the Premier, Cabinet Ministers and Chief Executives of State Government Departments to the island, in order for them to hear from our community about the issues that are important to them. Several public events were included, and the Cabinet members also met with residents and visited various sites on Kangaroo Island.
A suite of initiatives were announced for the island, such as:
- Qantas will be flying directly to the island from Adelaide and Melbourne from December this year.
- A Bickford's Distillery has been approved for development at Kingscote Wharf.
- The South Australian Government has committed $8 million in funding to improve KI roads over the next 4 years.
- An updated development authorisation for 'The Cliffs' Golf Resort has been approved by the Minister for Planning.
- $110,000 will be provided by the State Government for a new skate park in Kingscote
- The State Government will provide a $3,000 grant for residents to attend day five of the event free-of charge.
- Directional arrows have been installed on a number of Kangaroo Island roads to remind international tourists to keep to the left of the road, improving safety for all road users.
- Kangaroo Island will work toward the long-term goal of containing feral pigs on the island.
Fund My Idea
Grant funding for community projects is currently available through the ‘Fund My idea’ program that corresponds to Country Cabinet. Find out more about this grant here.
Applications close at 5pm on Monday 24 June.